The 5 words I learned from locals in the United Kingdom

hey guys,

It has been raining for several days, that's why I didn't go anywhere except the nearby Tesco, M&S for food, and garden centre to look for some plants for decorating our garden (and sorry I didn't take many photos).

Let's talk about those weird English that I haven't heard until I am in England.

1. Brolly

"Umbrella" in british english is called "brolly", and I checked online to see if it was slang, yes! It's an informal British term, the problem is whether it is formal or not.When shopping, the products labeled "brolly", and so is in chatting.

The only thing we can do is praying the locals realize what we are saying immediately when they hear "umbrella", otherwise they usually take time to think...(zzz


Then I also find it very inexplicable.

"slowish" = a little slow and "sixish" = about six o'clock, as long as you add "ish" at the back of the word, you can express roughly, a little. However, the concepts of around and approximately are omitted directly.


There is also a cutie one.

At that time, when I heard "a wee drop", I was "huh????"

I thought it was an adjective, but later I learned that "a wee drop" means "a teeny-tiny drop".

And "wee" comes from Scottish, which means a little, and which is also informal .


Here comes to an appliance: the "refrigerator." The name of a complete refrigerator is called "fridge-freezer" for British.

British people are disdainful.

Their reason is that the if non-frozen is "fridge"; one the other hand, frozen one is "freezer."

It depends on what you need, if both, just put the two words together. Anyway, either fridge or freezer is shorter than refrigerator, so why people choose a difficult word to pronounce. ok...that makes sense.

According to the textbook of primary school in Taiwan, the word "refrigerator" I misspell every time until now. So I agree.

But thanks God! We have computers now, they will revise for me ALWAYS!

BTW this is similar to the German "kühlschrank".

kühl = cool, schrank = cabinet.

No wonder the British get along so well with the German.

5. settee

In the end, "settee", which is usually called "sofa".

I checked the dictionary and found that "settee" refers to a long sofa, the kind of sofa that more than two people can sit on.

Besides, there are comments "a very old fasion word in English". But in fact young british people also say the same... In short, this is not a British term; conversely, if you insist on saying "couch", it's American style. Language is a complex of culture, so of course I don’t understand what the Madarin Chinese people from mainland China are saying lol, and even if I understand it, I won’t use it for the rest of my life lol.

by Louise L. (Akuai)

4 views0 comments